Sunday, January 09, 2005

Sun King

Cuando para mucho mi amore de felice carathon
Mundo paparazzi mi amore chicka ferdi parasol
Cuesto abrigado tanta mucho que canite carousel


I need to pay more attention to the Beatles. Yeah, well... you know what I mean.

When I listened through Abbey Road again, I got to this part of Sun King and was interested. So I looked it up. Then I was even more interested, because it doesn't mean anything.

JOHN: [On Sun King] When we came to sing it, to make them different we started joking, saying "cuando para mucho'. We just made it up. Paul knew a few Spanish words from school, so we just strung any Spanish words that sounded vaguely like something.

And of course we got "chicka ferdi' รค that's a Liverpool expression; it doesn't mean anything, just like "ha ha ha'. One we missed: we could have had "para noia', but we forgot all about it. We used to call ourselves Los Para Noias.


I'm gonna go ahead and believe and thank this Botley character on the above quote (his comment was found when I searched for comments on Sun King, ... even though it was on a Pink Floyd message board...).

This subject interests me since some-of-the-times I start writing songs with the music and singing nonsense syllables over top of the chords to get the melody and flow of consonants/vowels/ryhmes in place, then I go back and write lyrics. Sometimes inane words or phrases come out in this stage of the song writing and sometimes I keep them, just because (in my mind) they fit so well (Death and Destruction [from Maladroit] was worked through this way- Rivers has said that he just went in and started singing and recorded the first words he produced).

What if people can respond simply to syllables strung together, without having any need to write any real words over music? (Mira comes to mind here.)

She's so ... heeeeaaaaavy

2 comments:

  1. I think people can respond to syllables, or even really bad stupid lyrics. It happens all the time. And if you're upset by the extreme logocentrism of our modern times, then by all means sing "gabba gabba hey" or "yabba dabba doo" or whatever have you.

    I don't have a problem with logocentrism because it works to my advantage. Cause I know a lot of words. And stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, don't get me wrong, I like words. Just wondering (typing) out loud (...on the internet?).

    logos- Grk. word, speech.
    center- Middle English centre, from Old French, from Latin centrum, from Greek kentron, center of a circle, from kentein, to prick.
    -ism- noun suffix.

    ReplyDelete