Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Song #2 (Woo-hoo)

Nothing's Changed

It's so hard to say...
What's stayed the same?
And what's found a way
To change?

I'm back in town today,
I'm perfectly, perfectly okay.
It's just hard to say
That I've lost my way.

It's so surreal coming back to this place
Without you by my side.
I can't believe you're saving face;
Your conscience says it's alright.
You fell in a crumple at my door,
That fine December Tuesday night.
Said that you found yourself a more
Stable relationship.

Yesterday, I took a walk outside,
Found the path that you chose that night
Of our big fight-
It was quite a sight.
You shed some tears, I tried to
Shed some light into your eyes.
They're full of lies,
No surprise.

It's so surreal coming back to this place
Without you by my side.
I can't believe you're saving face;
Your conscience says it's alright.
You fell in a crumple at my door,
That fine December Tuesday night.
Said that you found yourself a more
Stable relationship.

No, no, you're just fooling yourself now.
No, no, you're preaching to the choir.

It's so surreal coming back to this place
Without you by my side.
I can't believe you're saving face;
Your conscience says it's alright.
You fell in a crumple at my door,
That fine December Tuesday night.
Said that you found yourself a more
Stable relationship.

***
For those of you who can't stream well, we'll have our demo finished relatively soon, as we have everything recorded now (just not all mixed).

Sincerely,
Letters to the Editor

4 comments:

  1. Those are some good lyrics, man. I was trying to place them, they sound a lot like a certain artist. It's funny because I was just listening to They Might Be Giants and then I played your track and it fit right in. Same kind of lyrical structure, I guess. Very effective. The bass break is nice, good guitar solo thing too. Almost George Harrison-ish with the bends. (Sorry to keep comparing it to other artists. At least I didn't mention that part that sounds like "I don't wanna work/I just wanna bang on the drum all day".) It's really close to something ... the bit at the beginning sounds like a piano almost. Keys would sound good on this track. Elvis Costello? Joe Jackson? I can hear that kind of arrangement for this song. With piano doubling those guitar riffs.

    The track has this vibe to it ... all the noise sounds like things exploding. I think it's kinda cool. You should put some actual explosions where the song changes over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your comments.

    This one was a hard beast to tame- we figured out we fluctuated the tempo so much when playing it live, that it was really hard to nail it down on the metronome. Consequently, there are parts that are not really lined up, which give it that explosive (unhinged) quality.

    Yeah, those parts at the beginning did sound a lot like a piano- I was surprised, such a nice clean channel sound.

    I wasn't too hot about these lyrics; I'm always looking for ways to work in literary allusions and such, and sometimes think it's not enough when it's just... stuff like this. But that's just how I work/think/do, so... cool. One more song coming soon...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally stole the title from the smiths: "Stop me if you think you've heard this one before". ..."Nothing's changed, I still love you..." etc. And the "perfectly, perfectly," is probably unconsciously lifted from the same song "slightly, only slightly less than I used to."

    And I just posted a good comment, but it doesn't appear to be showing, so let me do it again, and let it show up twice, so it looks ridiculous.

    This song was a beast to tame. We found out that we fluctuated the tempo a lot when we played it live, so setting it down to the metronome was tough, and some parts just didn't line up. That's where the explosive (unhinged) quality comes from.

    I wasn't too pleased with the lyrics, but I'm always like that. Not appreciating things without literary allusions, and whatsuch.

    Still can't believe I didn't notice that those two or so notes didn't sound in the middle of the first line of the guitar solo. Ugh, so unprofessional.

    The beginning parts did sound like a piano, I was surprised- such a good clean channel sound. And we have one more song coming soon...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not really stealing to just title it "Nothing's Changed" ... especially since the lyrics don't take the quote any further. Very cool though.

    This kind of thing doesn't need any allusions. It's nice to be able to write without them sometimes. The tempo of course is all over the place but it takes time and practice to improve it when tracking.

    In case you were wanting to fix some of the noise problems for future projects, it sounds to me like either the drums or guitars had problems with the input, like something was clipping. If you had multiple drum mics going into one source and recording it live to one or two tracks, that might be the problem. Try reducing the level on each individual mic.

    ReplyDelete