Thursday, October 20, 2005

Andy Rourke (Part Two)



In addition to his signature, I got a couple of good pictures of Andy from a couple of different angles. Funny part was Matt lent me his digital camera, and when I got to Big Daddy's and turned it on, it flashed "Low Battery" and turned right off. I was major bummed and ran (literally) down to "Mike's Beer Barn" to see if I could buy 4 AA batteries. They, somehow, only had AAAs and 9-volts... ? So, on my way back, as I was dialing Matt to get him to drive down with some batteries, I spotted Rick's Toy Box, and... well, yeah. They had batteries. And they sold them individually. So, you have Rick's to thank for these photos.




This is Andy's setup: an Apple laptop, an iPod, two huge CD changers, and this mixer in the middle (with which he used to turn up the BASS).



Side view.



Andy relaxing. He didn't really dance or move around much, but he did do the occasional air bass guitar and handclaps.



Tweaking knobs.





Andy putting on his (Pioneer) headphones near the end of "Stop me if you think you've heard this one before," in preparation of selecting the next tune.

And, the kicker:




(Is it me, or does he have a David Bowie look going on? His shirt said something about Ziggy Stardust and Johnny Rotten, but his coat never opened enough for me to read the whole thing.)

His setlist, from what I wrote down of what I recognized, was as follows:

"Stop me if you think you've heard this one before," The Smiths. (He didn't open with this one--I think he started when I was getting the batteries, and I didn't start writing down the songs until I heard this one.)
"There She Goes," The La's (Sixpence None the Richer did a well-known cover of this.)
"This Charming Man (N.Y. Mix)," The Smiths (from my CD!)
"Train In Vain," The Clash (I was stoked when I spotted his London Calling CD before he started playing songs. ... I also saw he had the MIA CD, but he never got around to playing a track off that.)
"Such Great Heights," The Postal Service.
Some modern song with "rama lama ding dong" in the lyrics. I googled but could find no answers (don't think it was the Edsels).
"Touch Me," The Doors.
"Last Nite," The Strokes.
"Should I Stay or Should I go," The Clash (apparently he likes Mick's tunes better... maybe just for dancin')
"Take Me Out," Franz Ferdinand.
"Monkey Gone to Heaven," The Pixies.
"Smells Like Teen Spirit," Nirvana (Matt will tell you it's ironic he followed the Pixies with Nirvana, evidencing Pixies' "U-Mass" as the inspiring riff for this song.)
"Been Caught Stealing," Jane's Addiction. Heck Yeah, man! Barking dogs and all!
"Here Comes Your Man," The Pixies.
"There Is A Light That Never Goes Out," The Smiths.
"Somebody Told Me," The Killers.
"Debaser," The Pixies.
"Sympathy for the Devil," Rolling Stones (I correctly remembered this song title! Woohoo!)

And, over two hours of music later, Andy Rourke of The Smiths decides to close his night as DJ at Big Daddy's on Monday Oct. 17, 2005 with...

DEF LEPPARD'S "Pour Some Sugar On Me"!

I guess I was wrong in the last post--Andy played just as many Smiths songs (3) as he did Pixies.
So, he just played a lot of popular stuff, and not the obscure Bristish stuff I thought he would (although, the night of music was neither entirely "80s," nor "indie," as the name of the event proclaimed. Oh well, he's freaking Andy Rourke, he can play whatever he wants.)
This list is incomplete, as I did not recognize 15-20% of the stuff he played. Several times throughout the night, inebriated girls would go up on stage to talk to him and point as his computer screen (apparently requesting something?). One time, a girl tripped over a wire and stopped the output of the music. Everyone started booing--it was hilarious (a simple plug back in brought everything back roaring up). It's amazing how different familiar songs sound at such a loudness (vocals seem higher pitched, for example).

I didn't go back on Tuesday, though I kind of wanted to. I studied instead.

2 comments:

  1. YOU ARE SO COOL

    stop posting stuff like this, you're making my head explode ... uh ... asplode

    this m.i.a. chick is pretty cool

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. YOU MET HIMIN YOUR BACKWARDS FLORIDA SHIRT!! HAHA.

    ReplyDelete