Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Nearly lost it.

Went over random assignment in Research Methods class today. For the third time. You don't even have to explain anything about it- the beauty of it is it's simplicity (dude)- "random assignment". Ask anyone who speaks English what "random assignment" is and they'll tell you: "Isn't it, uhh, where you, ... randomly assign people to stuff?". YES! IT IS!

But somehow our instructor finds a way of talking about it for 8 minutes, and having a huge slide with all these words that everyone frantically, and without thought, copies from her powerpoint presentation, when all it boils down to is "random assignment" (third time she's taken 8 minutes to explain this concept this semester).

I found a way to avoid screaming while calmly walking out of class (wouldn't that be weird if someone did that- just all out screaming, walking casually out of class?): I started pretending my right hand was broken and had to write my "notes" with my left hand. After a while, it wasn't looking half bad- almost comparable to the tired/frustrated scrawls I normally scratch out in there. Then I started conjugating Latin verbs. I only got through present and imperfect (active and passive) indicative forms before class was over (I was still writing with my left hand).

Then, I wrote the worst headline ever last night about 2 a.m. (I realize "then" doesn't work as a transition there, but I really wanted to use it)-- Tomorrow, It Dies Today. I hope someone changes it so all the people I don't know who don't read my articles anyway don't see that headline and don't not think I'm a corny idiot.

Serenity now, serenity now.

2 comments:

  1. What are you talking about? That's a great headline! It's not your fault they have a crappy band name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:12 PM

    Puy puy ... I know about that screaming bit (and I've meandered past your precious FSVeeeeew HQ) only I've actually done it. You should try it some time.

    ReplyDelete