Monday, March 10, 2008

Fire Drill At Work?

or a dumb way to spend 10 minutes doing nothing at a job where you already do nothing?

What are we, in sixth grade?

Reasons a fire drill was not appropriate:

*It's spring break. There are 15 people in this building. They all work here. On a normal school day, there would be at least 100 people in this building.
*Your fire alarm said "Lobby Walk Test," instead of "FIRE! FIRE! FIRE! LEAVE BEFORE YOU BURN!"
*If this were a real fire alarm, I would not waste time locking the office and forwarding the phone calls and locking my computer. I would still wait for my CD to come out of my computer's drive, though, and still pack up everything I had.
*If this were a real fire alarm, the four guys cleaning the outside windows on the fifth floor of the building would have been screwed.

When I was in elementary school, I always thought about if we mistook the fire alarm for the tornado alarm, or vice versa, we'd all be screwed.

This also deserves mention of the new building at high school. During the first year of its opening, the new building had a fire alarm go off at least once a week. It was routine. Even if it was on for 15 minutes, we would all go about our normal business, and we wouldn't even pay attention when the voice came on to say "Please disregard the fire alarm..."

No comments:

Post a Comment