Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Living in and out of a big fat suitcase.

I had a somewhat major freakout for about 3 hours last night, when I wondered whether I should start on the 100+ assigned lines of Latin translation that I was assigned in class, or drop the class and my other Latin class, and drop my starry-eyed idea of getting a second major in Latin.

Chose the latter.

I checked and would have had to take 5 or 6 more classes of just pure translation-- probably around 300 lines a week per class, and I would have to take more than one class each of the next two semesters. Strict translation was never the coolest part of Latin for me, and while I know I could do it and, eventually, do it well, I wondered, for probably the first time in two years, whether it was something I really wanted to do.

This wasn't some sort of "life is short, screw it" moments, it was more like "would I get much enjoyment of obtaining a degree for all this drudgery?" I dropped the Latin classes and enrolled in Classical Mythology, which I always found interesting but never fully explored, and an art history class-- from the Renaissance to modern art.

Next year I'm thinking of taking a photography class.

I still have a challenge this semester, though. I went to my two graduate classes today (both 3 hour classes, one day a week), and it looks like I'll probably be reading 2-3 articles and two big chapters a week, as well as posting discussion points online (for the first time), doing presentations, and writing papers. It should be a joyous experience-- I'm pretty interested in both topics (psychology of language, cognitive process in second language acquisition).

I am much more composed now. I will have extra time (Thursdays off, baby!), slightly less stress, and probably more fun.

1 comment:

  1. That's pretty cool. I met someone the other day who is getting a doctorate in applied cognitive science ... I don't know what that means, but it seems to involve getting engineers and scientists to communicate better. She said she chose that because psychology (undergrad major) wasn't exactly her thing.

    Photography is cool!

    ReplyDelete