Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Incoming Phone Call (At My Work Phone Number) From Someone Representing Web.com

~11:23 a.m.~

------------------------------------------
I AM LEGEND
[] = Actions
() = Additional Info / Comments
------------------------------------------

"Hello, could I speak with ... [looking up info on his screen] ... Justin de la Cruz?"

"This is Justin." (Sometimes I respond to this with: "Speaking"; "This is he"; "Yes?")

"Hi, my name is Leo and I'm from Web.com. I see here that you recently registered 'justindelacruz.com'?" (Said my last name in my url with a Spanish accent, which, I guess is more correct than normal. It just threw me off because he said it without an accent when he first greeted me on the phone.)

"Yep."

"Do you have a website there?"

"Yeah, well, I'm working on something. So, what - are you trying to sell me something?"

"I just noticed that it doesn't come up when I search for it."

"Well, yeah. I haven't put in the title or anything in the header, and I don't really have anything developed for it."

"Oh. I see it. Is it this blue webpage?"

"...Yes." (Nice job "searching out" my site when you already had the url...)

"Okay. I was wondering if I could send you some reports about your site - did you know that Google and Yahoo have very specific criteria they use to search for sites---"

"Yes."

"---that change all the time---"

"Yes."

"---and that you can add things to your site to get it to show up in results?"

"Yes, I did know that. But I don't need this. I'm not trying to sell anything on my site or anything."

"Well, if you want people to come to your site, you can---"

"I already have sites that come up with my name and everything. I mean, I know how to go about doing it. I just haven't done it yet."

"Well, thank you for your time..."

"Wait! Where did you get this information?"

"When you register a domain, it's public information."

"Yes, but I mean, where did you see that I registered a site? On a website? Through a program?" (I was really genuinely interested in knowing about how telemarketers specifically access this info. Also, I was a little caught off guard and upset, but also, most importantly, very bored at work.)

"Yeah, Google."

"Oh, Google, yeah. (Even though my domain doesn't appear in search results?) But how specifically?"

"I don't know, man. I'm just a caller here."

"Okay. You said you worked for Web.com?"

"Yeah."

"And what was your name?"

"Leo."

"Leo. You don't have a last name?"

"Yeah... Fernandez."

"Thanks." [I hang up abruptly.]

* * *

I understand that domain registrations are public. I understand that dude was just doing his job. I understand that my work phone is listed on my work profile, which is on my department's public website, and which can be easily found by Googling my name (ironically, in this situation).

Poor guy. Has to put up with crap from people like me all the time. I was just trying to psyche him out at the end. I don't know if it worked, but I know those calls can be monitored or reviewed by his employers. He should have worked on his hard sale.

Poor guy.

Well, at least he has a job.

No comments:

Post a Comment