Monday, January 12, 2009

Essays by Kurt Vonnegut.

As you may be able to tell already:

1) It's a slow morning in the office.

and

2) I'm recording nearly all the books I read on here as a way to remember.

I recently dropped Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake after about 50 pages. I couldn't really get into it, but it seemed like a cool premise -- futuristic, genetic programming/splicing, animal hybrids. But the pacing was off for me.

But before that, I indulged in Kurt Vonnegut's A Man Without A Country, a collection of essays that were published in a Chicago newspaper. The essays cover (post-9/11) current events, with the overall thrust being that Vonnegut, a war veteran, no longer feels that his country represents him. Some powerful things, but as always with Vonnegut, dealt with hefty portions of wit and humor.

1 comment:

  1. I did the same thing with Oryx and Crake. Just couldn't read past the first few chapters.

    ReplyDelete