Sunday, November 12, 2006

Strangeways

I rounded out my Smiths catalogue (catalog?) last week, with the nicely priced ($10.99) "Strangeways, Here We Come." It contains some of my favorite tunes, namely "Girlfriend in a Coma" and "Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before," and some others I'm sure I've never heard before ("Death at One's Elbow," "I Won't Share You").

piano on "Death of a Disco Dancer" by MORRISSEY

Really?

Although it has one of the stupidest covers I've seen:



... it has the potential of being stuck in my player for a while.

Of course, everyone knows this was The Smiths' final studio album, was labored upon extensively because it followed the glorious The Queen Is Dead, etc.

The back cover has a picture of a street sign, pointing to "Strangeways" one way, and to "Ancoats" in the other direction. "Ann Coats" was the credit given to the backup vocals on "Bigmouth Strikes Again," when it was really just Morrissey's vocals sped up. But I'm sure everyone knew that too.

... gotta give me some more time to finish up my Morrissey collection now.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:48 PM

    Yeah.

    http://www.oz.net/~moz/lyrics/strangew/deathofa.htm

    It says "random bashing" but the b3-2-1 riff is pretty cool.

    And Johnny Marr was proud of the first track for having absolutely no guitars on it.

    ReplyDelete