Sunday, December 04, 2005

I think that's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

We watched Taxi Driver tonight (yeah, the title of this post is a quote from a funny part in the movie). I thought it had great direction and action and acting, but ... I also thought it dragged a bit at times. But, hey, maybe that's just me.

***

I always think about making New Year's Resolutions, but I always think of how long a year is and get kind of disenchanted with the idea. Even something that sounds relatively painless, like keeping a list (with short descriptions) of each band I see live sounds kind of staggering. Or keeping a journal. I tried that one time daily for a couple of months. The entries got pretty monotonous and same-same, even if something cool happened.

Whenever I think about it too much, I just read Calvin's New Year's Resolutions.

Maybe I want to draw a comic strip. That would be cool. We did one (just one) in fifth grade (when our teacher, Mr. Nieves, was also an artist), and all I did was copy the first Calvin and Hobbes strip, blatantly stealing the joke, characters, and everything.

Even in my award winning short story, "The Underground Kingdom," (ha) in fifth grade, I named the two main characters Calvin and Hobbes. My teacher suggested that I changed the names, and I did, to something obviously more bland (blander?) and boring, since I can't remember what they were in the end. I still kept the girl in the story named "Roxanne," though, since I was hiply (hipsterly?) listening to the Police at that age.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:32 PM

    How are things in the pimp business, hey Sport?

    I didn't really feel like the movie dragged much. Even the extended scenes -- like that quasi-massacre one -- were effectively done, I thought. I don't know if I cared much for that ending, but, you know ...

    Haha -- funny that I was at that Young Authors' Conference, too, with my awesome African story, "Soko's Rainforest Family". It was about the Mbuti tribe and had such ethnically appropriate character names as "Anansi" and, uh, "Soko" ... those are the only ones I can remember right now. I was in fourth grade, though.

    ReplyDelete